Fox Developing American Version of Torchwood

By Mark
According to The Hollywood Reporter, an American version of Torchwood is currently being developed by the American broadcasting company, Fox. If the series is officially commissioned then the pilot episode will apparently be written by Russell T Davies who will also act as executive producer for the show alongside; Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter. The BBC have recently confirmed that this news is true and that a pilot episode for an American version of Torchwood has been written for Fox. At the moment, this is the only information that has been released by the BBC but more details will be posted here on this site as soon as they become publicly available. You can view more information about this news being confirmed by BBC Worldwide Productions here whereas the original report about an American version of Torchwood can be found here. What do you think of this news?
 

7 comments so far.

  1. Collin Kelley 25 January 2010 at 00:12
    This has failure and disaster written all over it.
  2. That's MIZZ Gypsy To You! 25 January 2010 at 02:02
    I have to say this and as it looks like I'm first I hope everyone realizes I am not offended at the idea of the show being shot in the US.

    But Torchwood cannot be American. It answers to the crown. Last time I checked, the US fought a little war back in the 18th century to get rid of ties to that same crown. If there is an organization like Torchwood, it still answers somehow to the Executive Branch. The show can be called Torchwood and there can be a Torchwood liaison officer (much like Ziva was a Mossad liaison officer on "NCIS") but it simply cannot be Torchwood and if it is, THAT will offend me. I'm as much as Anglophile as the next TW fan but FFS!
  3. Anonymous 25 January 2010 at 19:41
    I'm gonna cry. Bloody cry.

    I found comfort in the fact that hollywood couldn't get their dirty, unoriginal claws on at least one non-American phenomenon : Doctor Who.

    I guess I was wrong.

    How can they do this? I wish Hollywood would stop taking all the movies and series I love and make a failed copy of it. Oh god, WHY...
    Why do they have to ruin everything?
  4. Brad 26 January 2010 at 07:46
    Russell T Davies will still be writing for it and the BBC still own the rights to it so I don't think anything bad will happen to Torchwood. Great updates, Mark!
  5. Anonymous 29 January 2010 at 03:42
    no, No, and NO.

    America will ruin Torchwood.
  6. Joeygallery 2 February 2010 at 15:22
    America no way...

    Torchwood to stay in UK....
  7. Jamie Sue 5 February 2010 at 00:43
    The failure of Torchwood America will be caused by the FCC. Torchwood is racy and somewhat explicit and that makes it a blast to watch. America is prudish, so it won't last long on a major network like FOX. I'd rather see SYFY take a whack at it.

Something to say?